Thread: M2 Ride Quality
View Single Post
      08-15-2017, 06:54 AM   #8
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

I'm nearly 4000km up and have done a variety of journeys, a fair bit on poor urban or chopped up/uneven b-roads.

I'm pleasantly surprised coming from an M135i with Adaptive. Certainly the M2 transmits more shock across ridges but it manages to be just on the right side of harsh while providing decent feedback. Secondary ride (aside from that extra feedback issue) is actually better, the car feeling more settled and at least as supple but with more efficient control. Likewise while the primary ride is taughter - settling each movement more quickly and thus feeling like it is being tugged down more forcibly after each deflection - it barely ever goes light or floats, and actually is more comfortable over humps and across dips as it doesn't have that secondary movement. Likewise lateral rocking on irregularly-cambered roads is minimal. The greatest downside is the rear-end's low-speed (25-50km/h) choppiness over uneven cement road joins. Not terrible but if you've had a long day and are stuck behind a Camry doing 40km/h it does annoy.

All that said, and even though it is distinctly better than non-M stock BMWs, the fine control of the damping doesn't match the quality of Porsche, Renaultsport, Koni etc. There's that slight sense that with superior shocks the springing could be made a touch more supple without losing any grip or handling. Still, for a pret-a-porter 1500kg, powerful RWD 4-seater it is very good.
Appreciate 1
M2Nebula547.50