05-24-2017, 02:53 AM   #7
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
So what you're saying is if you have MPE the driving mode button has no effect on the exhaust but instead alters sound via the ECU depending on the mode?
Correct

Quote:

So to me this is interesting. On a stock exhaust for example if you select Sport or
Sport + the valves open in addition to ECU changes making the car louder. In a car with MPE no valves open in this scenario unless you choose to open the valves yourself with the MPE controller.
Correct

Quote:

So does this mean if you choose not to open those valves and go to track mode a car with stock exhaust and open valves in the the Sport modes will sound louder than the MPE car? :
Who's on first?? I had to read this bit a few times to understand the question, I may still not.
To make it simple, an MPE will always sound louder than a standard car. An MPE in it's quiet mode is still louder than a standard car with valves open.
Then the MPE in 'track' mode (i.e. exhaust valves open) is the loudest.

Having the car in 'traction' mode (hidden exhaust mode), i.e. pressing the traction button once, gives you the snap, crackle & pop burbles regardless of the exhaust. The MPE car will sound louder in that mode than the standard car. It's the way I drive the car most of the times, changing gears manually (DCT).

Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 1
DOMs335D220.50