04-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #42
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Didn't BMW say they will make as many M2's as they could? I also recall they sold twice as many as even they had expected. The other side of this is other cars at the Leipzig plant that generate more profit will get more assembly line time so I don't buy that they are keeping production numbers low. Maybe with marketing and hype you have a point. Also, if they really wanted to they could have halted production until the next generation, but instead threw the s55 in the M2 to keep selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someMoreMplease View Post
here's a thought: maybe, just maybe ///M cars can be a little more hardcore from the get go- so we don't need to get 4 versions of an M car. 2 versions- a standard already hardcore one, and a mental one with a spoiler/roll cage. None of this marketing/corporate BS for me.
That said- take my money BMW already.
Great renders BTW
you mean like they already did with the M4 GTS?

BMW has two sports cars.. which really aren't very much different from each other at all....
( they are both front engine, RWD, four seat coupes with a 3.0l inline 6 and they essentially share the same suspension, brakes, wheels and tires)

BMW 4 series sports car line comes out the box with the M4 GTS And then M4 ... M4 LCI... M4 ZCP.. M4 CS... through til end.

BMW 2 series sports car line comes out the box with the M2... M2 LCI.. M2 Comp... then M2 CS and/or M2 GTS/CSL at the end..

The two lines are marketed with their release timing intentionally separated opposite from each other..

Tag even though the M4 and M2 competition are actually now closer to each other than M4 and original M2... the marketing strategy of selling the M4 as the primary sports car... but then also heavily marketing the M2 (and M2 competition sizzle ) .. while for the most part the M4 is the only one that is readily available at the dealership... is absolutely by design.. I have referred to (and will continue to do so) the M2 in BMW marketing as a " loss leader" . it is a BARGAIN item... that makes the company less profit than some other models. The company actually market and position their selling strategy to benefit the other models (in this case.. M240.. M4 and M3) by positioning them in the selling location more prominently, offering additional discounts and promotions on the models that the company prefers to sell, or by simply strategically limiting the volume of the products available to assist their strategy.

In the case of the M2 vs the M4... recognizing this strategy as a customer.. one should always anticipate that the M4 will be readily available.. and the M2 ( or M2 comp ) far less so.. The reason for this.. is that many buyers will not wait for the item that is NOT in stock.. (m2 or M2 competition) and will gravitate to the item that IS in stock (M4). With the M4 being slightly more than the M2... but also offering clear advantages as the CF roof.... adaptive suspension.. nicer amenities etc.. it is not difficult for the average sales dud (read: client advisor) to get the buyer to spend more for the (readily available ) M4.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-23-2018 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 1