View Single Post
      10-16-2022, 11:16 PM   #43
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I own an M2C, but I'm being objective here. The G87 is going to have much better suspension damping and the car is going to perform quite a bit better. We can do paper exercises but the numbers will tell the story once it's reviewed. A 200 lb difference in weight is not ideal but once you are already this heavy it's not really a huge problem. There are cars that weigh 300+ lbs more and have better objective performance.

Not once has BMW failed to launch an M car that didn't outperform its predecessor (excluding CSL / GTS). They might not be as fun or light or whatever but they always outperform their predecessor.
I guess in part it comes down to the standards by which we measure performance. Having a focus on weight isn't a paper exercise, it affects every aspect of a cars performance. The 300lb heavier car you say performs objectively better would be significantly better again if 300lb lighter.

I guess the G series weight is due to chassis prep required for a hybrid (safely house batteries etc), it's the future of mass produced cars. Doesn't mean we just pretend that Newton's Laws of Motion no longer apply.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN20281.00