11-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #214
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope View Post
I mean what'd the 1M leave off compared to contemporary M cars? The fact that enthusiasts knew there was an S missing in the engine code but that everyone else didn't?

The M2 is not the signal of the ruination of the M brand. Regular folk aren't going to notice the absence of those adorable M4 mirrors, nor will they question why the roof isn't carbon, they wanted the moonroof anyway. "S55? No I can't afford an S class." Enthusiasts like us will understand the driving experience defines an M car and the M2 will most likely deliver in that department like the 1M that preceded it.

I see "progress" as what will ruin M as a brand. The decision to no longer offer a ZMT option, the decision to switch to AWD, the decision to only offer M cars as hybrids.... those signal the ruination of M.
And I'd agree with you if/when those things happen, in terms of that bedrock ///M definition I mentioned earlier.

You're talking about the philosophy and specific elements that make an M car; I'm talking about the ///M brand, which is based upon, and derives much of its legitimacy from, the M car. Different levels of the same basic issue ...

... and the omission of more of those elements on the M2, as compared to the 1M, is evidence of the 'progress' that could very easily manifest into some of the bigger things you've referenced. Let's be honest: parts farming from Sxx engines is pretty half-assed (and inherently cheaper) as ///M products go, especially considering how long BMW's had to develop the M2.
Appreciate 0