11-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #213
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
No, we just think from two different perspectives. Did I say anything about the 1M not being a great driver's car, with an emphasis on engine and chassis upgrades--the bedrock for all proper M Division products? No, I didn't. It's what was left off of the 1M relative to what made a contemporary M car at the time that began a shift that continues with the M2.
I mean what'd the 1M leave off compared to contemporary M cars? The fact that enthusiasts knew there was an S missing in the engine code but that everyone else didn't?

The M2 is not the signal of the ruination of the M brand. Regular folk aren't going to notice the absence of those adorable M4 mirrors, nor will they question why the roof isn't carbon, they wanted the moonroof anyway. "S55? No I can't afford an S class." Enthusiasts like us will understand the driving experience defines an M car and the M2 will most likely deliver in that department like the 1M that preceded it.

I see "progress" as what will ruin M as a brand. The decision to no longer offer a ZMT option, the decision to switch to AWD, the decision to only offer M cars as hybrids.... those signal the ruination of M.