View Single Post
      05-10-2023, 11:12 PM   #30
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M View Post
Exactly! If you need to look down to know the gear you are in...go to Automatic...
It's not that someone 'needs' to look down, more a case of situations where it's better/safer to not have to look down (or take 1 hand off the wheel). I get away to some roads where you can go flat out in 2-3-4th gears for 60-100km (and not see another car except those with you). With the turbo motor you can sometimes do a bunch of corners without needing to shift (unlike my mate with his E92 who's constantly up & down gears), then go to shift and grab thin air as I've mistaken the gear I thought I was in (3 or 4).

I now have my phone mounted above the side vent (with Bimmerlink dash displayed) and can see current gear while still looking at the road & with both hands on wheel, much better imo. For same reason I rely on hearing engine speed for shifting (rather than looking down to tacho) and don't think changing the current 'recommended' readout would really be any good due to it's display size & location. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0