08-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #58
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I still can't make up my mind between 6MT and DCT. I originally spec'd the car 6MT, and I enjoy rowing a stick for fun... but then I drive my current car in traffic and I get so irritated with dealing with clutch and shifter. I enjoyed driving dual-clutch on my previous car; even though my left leg and right arm got bored at times, being able to put it in D in traffic is awesome, and then put it in manual and use paddles like a rally driver is also awesome (plus frees up the left leg for left foot braking). I learned to work with the DSG instead of against it, so I didn't really experience too many situations where the transmission was in the wrong gear and I was waiting for it to catch up.

I almost feel like with how much of the work BMW takes away from you (rev-match / anti-stall stuff) on the 6MT, it makes more sense to just go DCT and also get the benefit of 7th gear and lightning-fast shifts and launch control.

But DCT is $3k that will cover winter wheels and some other mods easily... And I feel like this is going to be one of the last performance cars that can be had in manual and I would kick myself for not taking that route. Plus manual is cheaper to maintain long-term (no expensive fluid changes). Both my dad and brother will laugh at me behind my back if I go DCT as well - that's a minor concern, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't matter a little bit.

I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0