01-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #22
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311 View Post
True, except that AZ also only charges you sales tax on the difference. Most people I know would rather take $20k on trade and save $1,800 in taxes than go through the hassle of selling the car privately for $25,000. Most people who sell their nicer cars privately are aware of the no-sales-tax-on-private-sales thing so they price their cars higher and when you talk price with them or offer them bluebook, they respond with, 'yes, but you are saving $3-4k on taxes.'

I think in CA and a few other states don't offer the credit against sales tax from your trade, terrible.
Well, I'm certainly in the group of people unwilling to devote my precious time to dealing with the public in selling my own used cars . . . . .

I don't think that there are that many states that only charge sales tax on the difference between the new car and the trade in. And then, not every occasion for selling a car involves buying one to replace it.

I haven't bought any of my used/classic cars in-state, mostly because people don't generally own the kind of cars I like in Idaho; this is SUV and Pickup country.