View Single Post
      01-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #21
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
It sounds like used/new car buying in Idaho and Arizona are polar opposites. If you can buy a used PP car in AZ, and pay no sales tax to register it, this obviously encourages people to sell their used cars privately. Your sales tax is close to 9%, I think I read in another thread.

In Idaho, you have to pay sales tax on new and used cars regardless of who you bought them from, at a rate of 6%. On the other hand, if you trade in a car to a dealer in the process of buying a car from a dealer, you only pay our 6% sales tax on the DIFFERENCE between the value of the trade in and the price of the car you are buying. So to take a current example, I got about $20K trade in value on my 135i Coupe, that I have already traded in towards the M2 I'll be receiving in a couple of months. So, instead of paying the sales tax on ~$55K, I'll be paying it on $35K.

This obviously encourages people in ID to trade their used cars into a dealer, and it encourages the dealers to pay less for trade ins than they would pay otherwise, since they know that they have the customers who have a trade in by the balls.

My interpretation of all of this is that the car dealers have better lobbyists in Idaho than they do in Arizona; In Idaho, you have an incentive to trade in your used car, which severely limits and hurts the PP used car market. In Arizona, you have the exact opposite!
True, except that AZ also only charges you sales tax on the difference. Most people I know would rather take $20k on trade and save $1,800 in taxes than go through the hassle of selling the car privately for $25,000. Most people who sell their nicer cars privately are aware of the no-sales-tax-on-private-sales thing so they price their cars higher and when you talk price with them or offer them bluebook, they respond with, 'yes, but you are saving $3-4k on taxes.'

I think in CA and a few other states don't offer the credit against sales tax from your trade, terrible.
Appreciate 1