Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
For those that have kept (or plan to keep) their rear seats installed with a half cage - I am curious why? I cannot think of any reasons to keep them but do see it done pretty regularly. I'm definitely not trying to be a smart ass - I'm really curious why keep the seats when it seems like there is much more positive in removing them.

Benefits to removing the rear seat - negate the weight gain, do not have to mod the seat assembly (better if want to sell or reinstall), a close out kit can be a much cleaner look, more versatility with the space, etc.

Can't really think of any benefit to keeping the rear seat in place unless maybe you have no where to store it or prefer the aesthetics with it in?
Keeping the rear seats with a half cage is illegal here. If you fit a half cage to a road car in Aus you must remove the rear seats & have the car re-engineered as a 2 seater (same rule in various countries).
Which is why my 275R & other cars with factory fitted cages such as GT3 & CSL etc have no rear seat from the factory & are classed as 2 seaters.
There are some very stupid regulations in the US which I don't understand, but for safety reasons alone you obviously should be removing the rear seat if your fitting a half cage as you don't want anyone back there, plus there's the added weight savings etc.