akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Sorry, but you are comparing apples to oranges. Again, the MSRP between an M2 and M2C was only $4,400, not $7,000 like you described.

Additionally, there are still 2018 models out there with a warranty, but they are not much different despite being LCI.

To a BMW enthusiast, the M2C is worth the upcharge. Especially now that they have entered the final production year and they are harder to come by, even used. I had to buy mine in the color combo I wanted 4 states over. I could have picked up an OG M2 10 miles away.

That alone tells you that to real enthusiast, getting the right car is worth paying more and traveling for - which is refelected in the value. To a regular Joe and 99% of the population - they won't know the difference between an M2 and M2C. The OG M2 was a mass produced car with a tuned 2 series engine and many argue that it may not even deserve an M-badge. I think it does, but it has that perception by many which it will never get rid of and automatically it will get de-valued by others. Now that the 2 series is FWD and cars are getting bigger and bigger, the market for S55 M2s will only increase.

Again, this is not to knock the OG M2 as it's still a great car and not too much different from the M2C. But anyone who is a real enthusiast and has a chance to pick the M2C over the M2 without sacrificing anything should do so just because of the reasons above.
Again, apples and oranges. You’re comparing the newest OG M2 LCI to the oldest Comp. The OG at release was $7k less than the Comp at release.

If you’d like to use the 2018, let’s do it. Ones with under 15k miles are $46-48k and originally sold for $54,500 MSRP. They’re 3-4 years old now, so let’s call it 3.5. That leaves you a depreciation of $7,500 total and $2,100 a year.

An average 2019 Comp is 2.5 years old and had an MSRP of $60k. It sells for about $55k now... which is $5k total/$2k per year average. Given that they’re still all in warranty, the $100 less deprecation per year is not surprising.

I’m sure the Comp will be more valuable one day, but really only because it was more expensive to start with and rarer as a result. Very few people are keeping this car 20 years though, so the long term value is not nearly as important as the short term, and they are nearly identical in that sense. If the original poster had said they’re looking for a car to keep in their garage for two decades, the comp would be the easy choice... but he didn’t. Neither car is going to hold its value all that well north of 50k miles. Neither the OG or Comp are special or rare in that sense.
I doubt the cost adds to the rarity of the m2c. They didn't sell the base and the m2c at the same time.

I'm not sure if they will have made more n55 m2 or s55 m2c when this is all over. I think they were going to make more m2c cars but then COVID happened.
Appreciate 0