Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaz View Post
Hi all -

Been following here and reading up on the M2. I have two cars currently:

2007 Manual E60M5 with all the bolt on mods

2008 528i daily driver

I am thinking of getting an M2 to daily drive and get rid of the 528i. A few facts to consider and then I have a few questions, as you all seem very helpful on this forum:

Facts:

I don't drive far or need the back seats for work. I have a 3 mile commute and will put 10k miles a year on both cars combined. I don't have kids. My wife also has a four seat luxury car that we can use for couple dates, etc.

Questions:

Will I enjoy daily driving the M2? I think I will! Roads are good in Fort Lauderdale and I don't sit in traffic. I would only get the manual transmission.

Will I get annoyed keeping the car outside at night? At work, the car will be in a garage. At home, the M5 is the garage queen and I only have a single bay.

Will I find the car is more of a replacement for the M5 and not the 528i and that I really don't need both. In my mind they are really different. My M5 sounds like an Indy Car with the exhaust and is an absolute raw beast. I am planning to leave the M2 bone stock and just enjoy it. Seems far more usable as a daily driver than the M5. Also, I cannot imagine selling the M5 regardless. I have already replaced the rod bearings and connecting bolts. The car runs perfect and only has 58k miles.

Thanks so much for all the information on this board, seems like a great community.

If anyone is in South Florida perhaps I can check out your M2 sometime, I have not seen one in person.

Shea
If you like the M5 in S FL, you'll probably love the M2. Gobs of torque, which'll let you get around the Avalon-driving blue hairs, and out in front of the redneck "natives" in their pickups. It's a little flashy, which is pretty much a requirement down there. And the brakes will let you stop in plenty of time when I95 grinds to a sudden, unexplained halt (of course, that means you'll get rear-ended by grandpa or Cletus, but the safety rating on the 2-series is very good).

That said, both cars are, IMHO, total overkill for S FL. The primary thing I enjoy about he M2 is handling, and when 99.5% of all turns are 90 degree corners, you can't really play with that all that much (unless you do occasional days at PBI).

Heresy as this may be, last time I was down there, I wound up with a Camaro SS as a rental, and it was about perfect. Yeah, the interior materials were cheezy, and outward visibility sucked, but it was quick enough to get out of its own way, and if I owned one and it got smacked, I could console myself with the knowledge that I could easily replace it.

Why yes, I lived there for 12 years (Boca), why do you ask?
Appreciate 0