View Single Post
      02-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #17
thaar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i x-drive MHD

I'm an avid skier, and will echo what radiofrequency says - the most important piece of a equipment is definitely your boots. The foot is very complex, and not all boots work with every foot. Seek out an experienced boot fitter, but make sure they're easily accessible. You're likely not going to get a perfect fit after one appointment - it's just the reality of the matter. It took me three trips to get them perfect for me. Some of the resorts do have some solid boot fitters (at least out here in CO), so don't discount them as a resource. Plus, it's nice to have adjustments after your day on the mountain so you can easily identify the issue.

Also, consider getting custom footbeds, or at least upgrade the flimsy footbed in the boot to a Superfeet product.

Fischer came out with their vacuum line of boots a few years ago, which supposedly took some of the guesswork out of fitting, and from what I can tell, has been fairly well received. The vacuum line had just come out when I got my boots, so I wasn't ready to be the guinea pig for it, but I'd consider it now.

I know a couple people that have gone to Surefoot for their boots and are happy with their experience. They are a chain, however, so you may not get the same quality service/knowledge from store to store/fitter to fitter. They are also more expensive overall, and you'll already be spending quite a bit on a good set of boots. Expect to pay at least $500for a good pair. Right now is a great time to buy though since stores just started their clearance for the season.

As for skis, it really depends on where you ski, your ability/level and preferred terrain. My everyday ski out here wouldn't really be suitable for the east coast, nor would it be suitable for someone wanting to rail groomers or hang out in the terrain park all day. Your local ski shop should be able to give you some good recommendations though. Be careful though, skiing can be just as addictive to modding cars, and before you know it, you'll own four pair of skis!

Cheers and have fun!

Last edited by thaar; 02-19-2016 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 1