DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
...the Cayman is a superb sports car platform. It is one of the best to start tasting what a driver's car in modern day is and excellent for beginners and intermediate drivers DE car ... The limits of the Cayman are very high, but not as high as the 911; it takes time to get to the limits consistently.

I recommend to any one who has never owned a Porsche to have a go at it at least once. However, don't be a tourist, buy one in your budget, any one, keep it for several years, drive it daily, drive it on the track, immerse yourself in all that it has to offer, understand how it offers all that, then truly decide whether it is for you or not; in short don't buy because of the hype nor for fashion, have it to experience it fully, join the PCA, do the social and track events, etc.
Good advice, I think. I have driven both the Cayman S and 911 S on a track - but only as a tourist (I like that analogy : )
As I mentioned above, I am already thinking a couple years ahead to my next car, which gives me plenty of time (too much, really) to think through the decision thoroughly... the idea being that I put money toward something that I can hold onto long term, and not feel down the road that I wish I had started off in a different platform - one without inherent limitations. (That's what really caught my attention as this thread developed; I didn't realize that the rear suspension on the Cayman was a limiting factor as skill and speed climb to advanced levels.) Whether it's an M2 or a used 911 (I like the idea of a 911 a bit more than a Cayman because I could squeeze my kids into the back seat at least for a little while), I'd like something that will work as a daily driver that sees some track time for a few years, with the potential to slowly progress into a more serious, dedicated track car years down the road. At BMW CCA DEs, I've seen an awful lot of M3s that have evolved precisely in this regard, and the M2 seems like it would fit nicely into this plan. But maybe a used 991 911 would be an even better fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
The way to buy one is to be mindful of options that won't enhance the experience. Don't get anything the car does not need; e.g. full leather (Porsche interior materials are far more upscale than BMW), rear wipers, deviating stitching, even PCCBs, PTV, etc. Do get the X73 suspension though, best bargain IMO. It is too easy to price yourself out of a car with Porsche. Then just drive the hell out of it.
I was reading about some of the options, and PTV stood out as a bit odd. In utilizing braking of one of the rear wheels, it almost reminds me of BMWs e-LSD... which I don't like in the least. (I added a mechanical LSD to my car straight away.) Do the 991s have a mechanical LSD as standard anymore, or is PTV it? Also, I didn't see any X73 suspension option - is this a passive suspension, or a derivative of PASM/PDCC? I imagine the Sport Chrono package is a huge plus... Any other recommended options to seek out?

Last edited by DVC; 11-30-2014 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0