United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
I'm thinking about getting one, but looks like they are selling for well over MSRP so I can wait.

Anyone here have one yet? Interested in what you like and/or dislike about it.

It's this or an XBox one if I get anything. I don't know why I'm even thinking about it, though. I have my arcade cabinet that I built with MAME & thousands of old console & arcade games that I never use.
I've had the Switch since launch day. I've had a very fun two weeks with it and would recommend it.
But before we get into my experience with the Switch, let's discuss your priorities with your next console.

Specs:
Do you consider yourself a "hardcore/serious" gamer or a casual gamer?
There's no strict definition but typically speaking, a "hardcore" gamer cares a lot more about specs/performance. In this respect, the Nintendo Switch is more catered to the casual gamer, although many "serious" gamers also own Switches.
On paper (specs-wise), it is eclipsed by both the PS4 and XBox One in resolution, memory, storage, etc.
The Switch is technically not a head-to-head competitor with PS4 and XBone. Nintendo has taken it upon itself to stop the "arms race", if you will, with Sony & Microsoft, so objectively speaking, the hardware on the Switch is inferior to both.
If you're looking for a powerhouse of a console, then the Switch isn't it, so ask yourself about the importance of a large hard drive, 4K resolution, etc.

Library:
What games do you like/want to play?
Nintendo has traditionally based its success off of its own recurring titles & franchises that are unavailable on other platforms. Incidentally, the availability of third-party games is significantly less on Nintendo consoles than contemporary Playstation equivalents. I'm not sure where Xbox falls into this, but know that each platform has its own exclusive titles, so fans really do buy consoles just to be able to play certain games.
If you're a Zelda fan or Super Mario fan, then that alone would justify purchasing a Switch.
If you're a Gran Turismo fan, then that alone would justify a PS...If Forza, then XB...etc, etc.
Ask yourself what are some of the titles you enjoy playing, or want to play.

Early Adopter:
One thing to keep in mind is that the Switch has only been out for about two weeks while its "competitors" have been out for much longer.
Game consoles at launch are known to be plagued with bugs/glitches, incomplete features, and a small selection of games.
At the time of writing, apps (web browser, Youtube, Netflix, etc.) are currently unavailable on the Switch and the only game currently worth playing is Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Some people have had defective units where controllers lose connectivity, others have had problems with screens prone to scratching from defective docks.
Just like with PS and XB systems at launch, it's safe to say future patches and updates will add a lot of features and alleviate issues but how the platform matures and develops is hard to gauge. These are the risks of being an early adopter; you have to wait until the platform matures. There are no such risks with PS4 or XBone, as they have been out for a while and their bugs have been worked out and the libraries/selections mature.
You're going to have to decide if you're going to dip your toe in the water or stick with what's more familiar.

Portability:
Okay, this is the big one.
Portability was never considered a factor in home consoles prior to this. Traditionally, people had a console at home, and a separate portable gaming device for on the go. The gaming was mutually exclusive meaning whatever one was playing on the home console is completely incompatible/unrelated to the portable console save for maybe some very basic connectivity (i.e., Pokemon Stadium with Pokemon R/B/Y) for some games. In general, the two worlds do not interact and are considered two difference experiences.
The Switch intends to challenge this by merging the two experiences together into one continuum. It presents itself as a "hybrid-console", both a home console and a mobile console.
The idea is that one can now play a full-fledged home console game in all its graphical glory at home on the big screen, and then within seconds, undock it and take it with you. Whether it's to the bathroom or on the car ride to Vegas, one can continue playing the same game without interruption, distortion in quality, or change in experience.
Ask yourself if this a feature that would be useful to you.
It's not just for on-the-go. Be creative in your deliberation: Suppose you only have one TV in the house shared with your SO/wife and her favorite show starts at 8PM every night. You're playing Zelda/Mario Kart/etc. 8PM comes along; you undock your Switch and continue playing in handheld mode while she watches TV. Everybody wins.

In the Real World - Personal Experience:
It's been an amazing experience so far. Admittedly, part of the reason is due to the experience of Zelda: BOTW, but the Switch is what makes the full experience possible.
Switching from TV to portable mode is a breeze. The transition is smooth as butter with no lag or perceivable loss of quality both ways (even though on paper output resolution is slightly higher than native resolution). Zelda BOTW and the Nintendo operating system have been largely glitch free and bug free in my experience. The only bug i've seen is in Zelda BOTW where there's a minor issue with the timing of the "respawn" feature (Blood Moon) that I'm certain will be patched in the next update.
Hold the Switch in your hand and it feels solid and of good quality.
Though I must say the dock surprised me in that it was completely plastic with no soft materials (the source of much controversy and scratched screens), but everything else feels top-notch.
Okay, the screen is plastic as well, but this has been true of all Nintendo handhelds from the GameBoy to the 3DS. Get a screen protector and be done with it.
I was underwhelmed at the lack of game selections at launch but Zelda BOTW quickly became one of my all-time favorite games.
I'm waiting/hoping for more built-in features/apps but I've really enjoyed playing Zelda BOTW and being able to take it with me as I please.
It's an amazing experience when a full-fledged, open-world game with such complexity can fit in the palm of you hands.
The Switch is truly a console that is flexible in that you can play "console quality" games on your TV at home and then continue anywhere else you please, and vice-versa.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread

Last edited by Law; 03-19-2017 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 1