BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Lawn mowers
Maybe the S2000 is a lawn mower, but then a damn fast and good sounding one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
firstly, i am very very glad the M2 is getting the N55 inline-6. I really did NOT want it to get a 4 banger.

that being said....there are good 4-cylinders out there. They are not as rich or as 'deep' as a 6 in their delivery, but they can be fun. My TT has a good-sized K04 Turbo with twin intercoolers on the 1.8T 225hp variant and after driving my 135is around quite often----i usually get in the TT and it feels like it's going to snap my neck from the force the turbo generates. It doesn't sound as good as the 135is NOR is it really as fast, however it feels punchy and alive and full of energy. A different kind of 'fun'.

History is full of some really great cars with 4-cylinder engines.....so don't be so quick to dismiss them all!
You are happy no I4, me not so much, but for other reasons. Of course an I6 is better, BUT:
  • 3.0l engine is a big engine for Europe, 2.0l engines for Europe are in general a good performing engine. Low performance is mostly everything below 2.0l, like 1.4l or so.
  • From what I got, you want a light car, but with 6 cylinders, not 4. I agree. For cars like Lotus or the Alfa 4C it may be OK, but well, I4 is not special, at least the rest of the car is special.
  • The thing is, displacement is independent of number of cylinders. So why no 2.0l I6 like old BMW 320i for example? That is what made it special compared to its competitors. Now it is the same 2.0l I4 as all other.
  • Cost!!! The same reason we have no small V8 engines.
Appreciate 0