Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
My TurboSmart DV's wiring loom (covered with heavy electrical shrink wrap) is lightly touching the upper water hose coming from the water pump

Anybody else have theirs touching?

Thanks for the input
Interesting, it is contacting right at the end of the metal coupler coming out of the turbo smart valve. This means that the wires inside of the loom has very little slack (vs if it were contacting in the middle of a long wire which would not be pressed up against anything allowing it to be more flexible - think a phone charger if you flex it next to the plug it is very rigid vs the middle of the cable) before it is forced to bend against the hose and the metal coupler, which is not ideal if there is alot of movement or pressure.

However the bend radius is not extremely tight (it is bent but not too too badly), and since the water pump and turbo will move in unison as it is attached to the block, I suspect there will be very little movement induced flex on the wires. Well it also depends on how much the engine rocks to the passenger side under WOT or high output scenarios because the hoses will not really want to move and thus flex and will thus be pushed upwards and to the driver side as it bulges, so it might contact the wires. But since it is touching the hose right before it connects to the water pump this means the hose will be as stiff as possible in terms of its connection to the pump and thus flex in the direction of the pump movement as the engine rocks and it will likely not bulge towards the wires. So for the most part I would imagine the only stress it will see is from the hoses itself flexing as water pressure increases as the pump spools up, and from the vibrations of the hose and the wires contact.

So overall I don't suspect there to be too much of an issue, but obviously it isn't ideal having the wires touch in this particular area as there isn't much slack in the already bent wire which is pushed up against the metal coupler meaning there is little movement for the wire to bend and flex leaving it more susceptible to damage. But I think you will be ok.
I was considering loosing all three bolts and seeing if I can shift the DV up slightly