01-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #59
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximoosh View Post
I have come from a Cayman S 981 to the M2.... I had the porsche for 4 years and it was a fantastic car, it was time for a change though and with the new 4 cylinder turbo I ruled out the 718 CS. I ended up ordering a Carrera T but just wasnt that excited by it (maybe something to do with the massive debt id be taking on). I explored other options and the M2 appealed as a fun car with plenty of poke. Test drove a black LCI one and bought it, seems very good value for what you get compared to Porsche, with Porsche everything is an option whereas the little bm comes with everything. It will never sound like the 6 cylinder porsche... that will go down as one of the best sounding engines of all time, but then the new 4 cyl sounds broken....but in terms of pace and feel it really isnt far off the 981 in fact I think its quicker in a straight line, plenty of torque. Anyway best of luck with your decision.

My cayman had sports exhaust, lsd, sport chrono, manual transmission

The M2 has harman kardon, privacy glass, memory drivers seat reverse cam and is a dct
I agree, the Porsches are not as good a value as a M2. For that reason I would only consider a used Cayman S. In fact, my track buddy, who's retired and owns several Porsches, would sell me his pristine, low mileage, loaded Cayman S for about the price of a new M2. I've driven the car several times on and off the track, and I love driving it. However, as I mentioned before, my only complain is the power and/or the gearing. It's just not that fast. In fact he can barley keep up with my e46 M3 on track, on identical brakes and tires. Granted I have a few more suspension mods, tune and headers on my car, but still. If you think that the Cayman is a mid-engine purpose build sports car, then it is a bit disappointing that it isn't faster than a 15 year old "sedan". Only when you get in to the GT4's do they become significantly faster. I was recently in a run group with 3 of them, and they were all about 4 seconds a lap quicker, but the regular Cayman S is usually about the same as me.

As bad as the new 718 engine sounds, it is actually almost as fast as a GT4, because of the added torque. I am with you though, not sure I could live with that sound, but I am also not sure I could live with paying $50+k for a sports car, that offers little practicality, and isnt't any faster on track than my current car.

For that reason I would get the M2. More tunable (turbo engine) and is more practical, even if it isn't a DD. At least you could fit a set of track wheels in it if you had to.
Appreciate 1