12-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #93
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The problem with the F30/F80's interior is that it barely looks any different from that of the E9X generation cars, which debuted around 2006! To add to that, they took a step back in material quality. BMW's conservative "evolutionary" design theme works when your cars have other things going for it, like say best in class driving dynamics. However, that advantage is now long gone and we are left with cars that are lazy redesigns.

Merc changes their interior and exterior designs radically with every new generation. Their cars still look uniquely Mercedes, but offer a different take on the design language, much like what Bangle did with BMW exteriors and interiors.

In these photos, the Merc's interior clearly has a more engaging design, better and more "exotic" material quality, and overall feels like a very special place to sit inside. On the flip side, unless you haven't sat in a BMW since the E46, the current 3er's interior is more of the same we've been seeing over the past 11+ years.
Not sure if I agree with that. I have an E92 and the F30/80 interior is way different. I really do like the F30/80s interior the most in that class. Also it's nice that BMW is keeping its interior design language which has always been purposeful and to the point.

On the Car and Driver note, I don't really value what they say anymore. They rated the S6 over the M5 which to me states they simply do not push the car hard enough during their tests. I have seen a few of their recent tests and not much makes sense. They hated the comp package F80 while motor trend loved it. These are all based on opinions and shouldn't be taken too seriously. I trust Chris Harris' point of view more, he goes more in depth about how the car feels at the limit.
Appreciate 0