10-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #52
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Allow me to make a bold statement: even if the M2 price-point would be (very) close to M3/M4 territory - quod non -, I'd still choose the M2. Money matters, but so does size (influencing the driving dynamics)...
That's not really a bold statement. It just reinforces some of my confusion with this car. The car is limited, but even if it were $60k and came as a baby M4, it would still sell out without any problems.

Why limit this car in an effort to bring down price, but then price out of the hands of first time M buyers who aren't willing to spend M4 money? Folks like M3 Adjuster seem to think it's just a BMW marketing engine at work, where this car draws interest but ultimately sells shoppers a different car. Which makes some sense but doesn't address the initial point - the car is limited to bring down price. But if BMW only produces a handful of these, it doesn't matter if the car is $55k and limited or $60k and just as bespoke as the M4. People will end up shopping other cars simply because they don't want to deal with the M2 availability.

And before anyone says you can't make it a baby M4 without hurting M4 sales, that's a bunch of BS. Again, there are six M4s sitting on the lot and the dealer tells you there is a four month wait for the next M2 allocation. I don't care if it has Nappa leather in any color you want or five different shades of M specific colors to choose from or an S55 under the hood, you're going to get a lot of people that simply don't want to wait that long and will buy the M4. The guys who end up waiting are the guys you really can't even get into an M4 because they want the size of the M2.

Case in point, this car makes no sense. LOL