03-01-2016, 03:07 AM   #99
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i on Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
People need to get off this entry level customer BS. BMW knows that there is a large enthusiast pool of buyers that could easily afford to set-up into an M3/M4, but don't a want high performance car that is wider (a problem the M2 also suffers from) and has a wheelbase similar to the last generation 5 series. If the thought of people purchasing an M2 because they couldn't afford an M3/M4 is what helps 3 series owners sleep at night then so be it. But it doesn't change that the M2 is the true enthusiast choice for a fun street car. Did BMW do some brand engineering to keep the price and performance down? Yup. If they truly offered an individual program for the M2 and decent options, M3/M4 sales numbers might start mimicking those of the M5/M6.
Exactly.

It's not about the price, but the size of the car and the ethos that BMW appear to be following with the M2 compared to M3/M4. BMW are focussing exclusively on the performance aspects and the drivers experience rather than also considering luxury (better interior) or add-ons (mirrors, roof). Not that the luxury or add-ons are wrong or serve no purpose on the more expensive M's and they certainly don't ignore performance, but it's a different market/buyer with different tastes and trade-offs.

In truth, the M2 is still a bit too wide and long. While smaller than the M3/M4 it's not that much smaller. Yet I'll take what I can get and not wait for a car they're never going to build - a full-fat M 1-series hatch please!
Appreciate 0