04-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #25
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Was the tankless system designed into the house or added after the fact. I am looking at building a house and I plan to put in a tankless system, tired of replacing water heaters and done two so far and the next house is the retirement house.

My research found that it is a good idea to put in a recirculating systems for long runs for hot water, what it does it circulates back the cold water until it is up to temp then it opens a value and let the hot water flow, it does two thing, help save water, it also helps saving a little heating energy since it does not have to spend as much time heating up cold water.

I was going to retro my current house with a tankless system, had two teenagers who loved long showers, but after finding out all the venting requirements and other things need to make it work correct I did not bother.

Also higher end dishwasher have their own heater. My dishwasher take my normal 140F hot water and heats it to 185F.
House was a complete gut and remodel of a 120 year old home here in New Orleans. Tankless was installed at that time though as I mentioned in an earlier post we upgraded to a new tankless several years ago.

Yes, you can do the re-circulating but our house is only 2,600 sq ft so the distance the hot water has to travel is never that great. This is why we did not install the re-circulating option.

As for venting, the original tankless was installed before we purchased the house. When we upgraded we found the venting was not up to code so we did have to correct that but I did not find a major issue.

And yes, modern, high-end dishwashers can heat water though I am not well versed on how efficient they are relative to the tankless heater. Just out of habit I let the hot water run until it is hot at the kitchen sink before starting the dishwasher...

Last edited by kscarrol; 04-24-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0