View Single Post
      11-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #360
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
So, back to the seal.. Once you slide the back trunk plastic plate out from under the rubber seal and have completed the job, any trickery involved in sliding it back up and under that seal to complete the job?
No trickery - just hard to explain. The seal essentially has two parallel/adjacent "slots". One is metal reinforced, and that's the slot that is tightly fit over the metal of the car body. The other is simply a soft fold without any metal reinforcement - that's the part the fits over the top edge of the back plate. To re-install the back plate, simply re-install it without trying to get it back under the soft fold of the seal. Once you've re-installed the back plate with the 4 locking-pins, you can simply lift the soft fold of the seal (inch-by-inch) up and over the edge of the back plate, thus putting it back "up and under" the seal.

It will be obvious when you do it - just look very carefully how the seal's soft-fold sits over the back plate before you wiggle the back plate out. And despite how it might feel when you're removing the back plate - you truly do NOT need to remove that seal. Just keep wiggling (carefully) the plate after removing the 4 locking pins and it will come free.

It would have been a 10 or 15 minute operation if I had not had to wrestle that issue. I spent about 30 minutes trying and failing to reinstall the seal with the back plate in place. I eventually realized that the back plate being in place made it even more difficult to reinstall the seal - so I removed the back plate again, then replaced the seal, the put the back plate on as described above.

One thing I would recommend - get a Torx T40 to remove the tie down on the trunk floor (see the DIY instructions). Cost me $10 at Home Depot - and then I didn't have to booger-up that bolt with vice-grips.

And yes - an ASD-free experience is better. At least in the M2 - the car sounds great without any artificial assist. That said, I did not disable it in my 2016 m235i - it was not nearly as intrusive and obviously fake as the ASD in the M2.
Appreciate 2