10-16-2016, 02:48 AM   #1
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
M2 going into limb mode twice on Autobahn

Two days ago I drove on the German Autobahn and the car dropped into limb mode twice... I did not know what it was the problem other than a drive train failure mentioned by the on-board computer.

I can tell it is not the most pleasant feeling doing 240+ kmh and having your car go into limb mode, but OK. After the second limb mode message I decided to get the oil level measured since I thought that would be an easy fix.

I measured the oil and it was low. Problem found! It is weird that the car does not measure the oil level itself and gives me a warning. In my previous cars I got a message when it was low, the M2 did not do this annoyingly. I will not measure it often to see how the oil is doing.

On oil front I wanted to double check what to put in the car, but nor the manual in the car, the book or the app shared the exact details on what to put in. There were no viscosity numbers! Why only mention the BMW oil brand type and name of the product, and why not just mention the viscosity numbers that you can put? Previous cars mentioned that, why not here...

In the end I went to a local dealer 10 minutes from my stop at the petrol to double check the oil type and even though they had a M2 in the parking lot they could not find out what oil was required. After some minutes calling and searching we found it!

Oil level is now back to normal and no limb modes so far! Let's see what how it runs later today. I am now at 26,700 KM so it is low just before the 30K km service which is coming up.

MR
Attached Images

Last edited by MR.; 10-16-2016 at 02:54 AM..
Appreciate 0