03-17-2024, 05:02 PM   #3
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Sounds like you’re asking for a cheat code, and that’s what’s fun about this activity, there really isn’t one. This is what enables a skilled driver to pass a less skilled driver in a more capable car. The cheat code for lap time out of a novice driver if you had to point to one is horespower and tires, not some shops secret roll center correction or damper valving.

With any of the stuff you mentioned, it requires track time to develop as a package on a car which is what is so fun. There isn’t one recipe. You’ve got to figure out what works for you, which is why all roads for dropping lap times run through seat time. Even as it relates to grip, ask for the best tire and you’ll get several answers. “Tires are like condoms, everyone’s got their favorite brand.” is a paddock joke for a reason.

You can’t write just write a check for a new PB. You’ve got to go earn it.
I agree with what you're saying to a point. Which is why I suggested that driver skill is fixed. In theory, you can make two of the same platform that are identical. I'm suggesting that their are performance enhancements that can be done to this chassis that will improve handling, grip, etc. Outside of changing tires. I also agree with you that tuning is also relative to how a driver likes to drive. Let's step it back just a little and look at what improvements to the stock chassis yield the biggest improvement outside of tires.

Different shops are selling different kits, but what are they trying to fix? Or is it fixing nothing, but allowing more adjustment to dial in alignment, camber, etc?

Maybe it as wasted exercise as a car that is set up optimally for a professional driver might not feel particularly comfortable for a novice.

This exercise also assumes the purchase of quality parts setup with the aid of knowledgeble people. Even the best bolt ones can yield lesser performance if set up incorrectly.

Anyhow, what's considered under the unbrella of chassis tuning and how much of it is accessible to your average track day enthusiast? Or how much of it would actually add benefit to a novice?