02-11-2024, 06:52 AM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
These are not TTY bolts, they were just torqued to a value and that is it. TIS just specifies a specific torque value on them. I think TIS also wants people to change bolts on the carbon brace everytime its removed.
I am tempted to just leave em be
Some bolts are recommended to be changed even though there is not angle to the torque spec, but that's because they're still torqued to plastic deformation range. A good example is the brake caliper bolts, the front and rear caliper carrier bolts are the exact same. However only the rear caliper bolts require a torque angle, yet you have to replace them with each use. This is because the front bolts are torqued high enough to become plastically deformed, thus they're single use. Iirc the front bolts are 80 ftlbs, and the rears were like 30 ftlbs + 90 degrees.

Sometimes bmw specs to replace bolts because of corrosion issues and the risk of stripping, for instance the rotor retention bolts. These aren't torqued high enough to plastically deform yet they're replaced each time because they're so proned to coroding and stripping out.

The brace bolts are likely torqued to plastic deformation, hence why they're single use. So imo if bmw says to replace it, chances are it needs to be replaced or else you risk not getting accurate clamling loads or a broken bolt.