View Single Post
      01-12-2024, 08:28 AM   #117
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
You're commenting under the news that it's already happening, and decided. BMW's factory is being re-built so that they will only build EVs. Same with VW, Mercedes Benz, and all others. All the EU countries and U.S. put in place deadlines for ICE sales. And especially in Northern Europe, EV sales are already approaching 50% of new car sales.
And you still call it a fantasy. So you believe, they will all need to go back to build ICE engines huh? I wonder who's in the fantasyland
I live in Europe. Basically everything you wrote in this post is factually incorrect.

Demand for new EVs in EU is very low compared to ICEs and PHEVs. The period of rising EV sales is behind us. In fact, there was a huge drop of BEV sales in summer of 2023 when Germany stopped issuing subsidies for purchase of new BEVs. BMW is comitted to development of all powertrain options in the foreseeable future: ICE, PHEV and BEV. Majority of all BMW models are and will be built on modular platforms that support all 3 powertrains in the same chasis.
VW has actually stopped investments in BEV factories. They recently fired around 600 employees in the BEV factory cause there is not enough demand for their EV cars. They even stopped EV production for a few weeks for the same reason. VW recently fired it's CEO that invested billions in the massive EV-shift. The new CEO is basically brought to drop all of that, and is now pivoting back to ICEs and PHEVs and is trying to save what is savable. Toyota, Mazda, Ford, GM are all saying out loud that EVs are not for all people and all applications. They work great for some people, but are not working for the majority of world population.

Majority of European Car producers are now focused on hybrids for the near future. Major infrastructure upgrades and new Electric Power Plants are nowhere in sight. In fact, Germany, as a largest european economy and industrial powerhouse has been importing electric energy for the last year and a half despite going through a recession.

And please, don't fantasize about imminent revolutionary progress in battery technology or day-dream about exponential improvements of the charging infrastructure. I'm an electrical engineer, and can tell you that all of that is utter bullshit.

Last edited by Calamari; 01-12-2024 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 11
SW192481.00
ham34085.50
GinTonic128.50
JSaid287.50
ChrisM41669.50