View Single Post
      10-30-2023, 10:29 PM   #45
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Since I recently sold a 2002 M3 6MT coupe after 10 years of ownership and I had several months of overlap with the 2020 M2C DCT that I bought to replace it, I thought I would give my comments.

My M3 had a few modifications that made it more fun to drive than stock, including a 4.10 diff, pulleys, Eisenmann exhaust, Carbonio carbon fiber intake, PSS9 coil-overs, sway bars, CSL rotors, Red-Stuff brake pads, AutoSolutions 30% reduction shifter and CDV delete.

For me, by far the most noticeable difference between the cars is the torque of the S55 compared to the S54. Combined with the DCT, the torque of the S55 comes on explosively when you step on the gas. Not that the M3 is slow, but even with a 4.10 diff, the S54 engine takes a lot longer to make power.

The accessibility of the S55 torque is most noticeable around town. Unless you're driving hard, the M3 is sluggish compared to the M2C. It would be really interesting to experience an S54 with the DCT from the M2C. I think it would make a big difference.

This leads me to what I dislike the most about the M3, which is the transmission. Even with arguably the best aftermarket shifter that you can get and CDV delete, the 6MT is not an enjoyable transmission to drive, not even remotely.

Comparisons of steering aside, my stock M2C handles and brakes much better than my modified M3. The cars simply aren't in the same league. I think the difference of the steering is less of an issue than people make it out to be. I have never thought the M2C doesn't steer well, even though to a purist it doesn't steer as well as an E46 M3.

Obviously the S54 with the carbon fiber intake and Eisenmann exhaust sounds much better than the S55 ever will. I miss the sound of the S54, the power of the S55 more than makes up for it.

I didn't mind the interior of the M3, but I like the interior of the M2C a lot more. It's still relatively simple compared to an F80 M3, which is okay by me.

Even though the E46 M3 and F87 M2C are so close to being the same size and the F87 is as close to being a successor of the E46 M3 as BMW made, I find the M2C to be so much more enjoyable to drive that I had no reason to keep both. I find the M2C to be both a better daily driver and better when driving hard.

Last edited by bimmerdriver2; 10-31-2023 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 5
CSBM52756.00
RugbyBro7609.00
M3R12212.00