Thread: Navy thread
View Single Post
      08-21-2023, 06:49 PM   #174
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

My apologies, should have elaborated, I was short on time when posting. The Navy’s goal is 2 Virginia and 1 Columbia new manufacture per year. The intention is to develop the workforce to be able to hit this goal by 2026. I feel that is a aggressive target, but they are definitely dumping money right now to develop suppliers with that in mind. There are even some pretty ridiculous plans out there, like the Barlette Maritime Plan, that talks of the development of new shipyard to support both subarmine repair and new construction. All awhile, AUKUS is moving forward and we will be in no position to support, even if it is just old Virginia class. Not to mention the aggressive goals of SSN(x). We are also going through “the great resignation” in which this with the knowledge are retiring leaving a big gap. I deal with people in their 20s that have absolutely no idea what they are doing in positions just because those entities have no other choice. The goal is to develop qualified trades people to meet the production goal, but there is technical lapse as well. All of such efforts are lead, probably a poor term, by a generation that doesn’t understand the younger generations want to do as little as possible to get by.

I’ve ranted so long I forget what I wanted to ask. How do you thing the US will get past this hurdle? Do you believe that our lack of production when compared against other nations put us at risk? Are over technical upgrades causing vessels in dock for longer periodicities putting us further at risk (hypersonic DDG 1000 missle upgrade)?

Anyways, more so just interested in what you think.
Appreciate 1