Drives: a white BMW

RE71-RS report

275/35-18 square
M2 Comp w/stock power
14k/12k spring rates
-3.2º fr/-2.3º rr camber
3700 lbs with driver and full tank
50/50 cross weight

I tried to keep them ~34psi hot, sometimes going to 35 which seemed ok. Higher than that and I found it obvious because front-end grip would drop off a decent bit. With the above alignment and pressures, I wore them right to the tip of the ∆ front and rear.
I'll compare these to the Falken RT660 since it's previously the fastest tire I've driven on and also the last tire I used.

Pros
  • The lateral grip is great. If you've driven the RT660, the RE71-RS is a hair less but with a hint more slip angle, but this didn't seem to make them slower necessarily.
  • Feedback is excellent and I never felt surprised by the tire. The RT660 has a stiffer sidewall and while turn-in feels fantastic it's borderline excessive and the tire can be shocked a little easily.
  • The slightly softer sidewall/carcass seems to do a good job of damping imperfections, adding confidence and working really well with vehicle.
  • They're audibly communicative as well—something I like.

Cons
  • I think this is the most heat-sensitive tire I've driven. I actually had to let up and let them cool off every now and again. I found the RT660s (and the Goodyear SC3 before them) to follow a similar pattern of peak>drop ~20%>plateau. They could be overheated, but it took over-driving or being ham-fisted. The RE71-RS needs more monitoring.
  • Inner shoulder and center-bar wear is something to keep an eye on. After 2 days they look ok, but showing a little more wear and beveling than I'd have expected.

Appreciate 5
MR RIZK757.50
CSBM52756.00
bentom2335.50