View Single Post
      10-30-2022, 05:11 PM   #50
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

I’m sure I’ve researched more about intercoolers on this platform (and in general) than anyone outside of (and including) the vendors.

The Wagner EVO2 is and will always be one of the worst on this platform. It’s poor internal surface area (remember, the fins on the outside do not reflect the surface area in the interior) means it can’t (and doesn’t) hold or dissipate heat as well as other intercoolers.

When people speak or lag, it has literally nothing to do with interior volume. The Evo 3 is MASSIVE. It’s 13” tall compared to 8” for the Evo 2 and around 5” for the stock core. The Evo 3 is also 7” deep compared to 6” for the EVO2 and 4” for the stock core.

(MAD, VRSF -R and BMS R are 11” tall for comparison and 6.5-7” depth)

Despite the massive volume differences between all of these cores, turbo lag isn’t a thing.

What does this have to do with the CSF? The CSF is smaller than even the Evo 2 (but has superior cooling ability) and it’s fault (if any) lies in its dense internal fin pack and smaller charge rows.

Giving up cooling capacity is the wrong way to go here - a member posted his logs and the Evo 2 was already maxed near 88* ambients, as it has a hard time keeping IATs within 20F above the ambient temperature. (Typically 105-109F is where timing is pulled on pump gas)

The CSF is the most popular core on this platform because is basically the biggest that can fit without modification. You’d be crazy to downgrade to a less capable cooler (which costs more) instead of just going larger with a better brand,

And that’s even if the cooler is the issue and not an installation problem

Last edited by AmuroRay; 10-31-2022 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0