View Single Post
      02-18-2022, 01:38 AM   #65
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mped View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I'll have to introduce myself properly some other time but real quickly in October I bought a '17 Mineral Gray 6MT with some M performance bits (including the exhaust) already installed. This car is awesome!

I have found an easy solution to the Bluetooth controller that has annoyed me from the beginning and now that it is colder is causing me more problems.

Attachment 2813227

Some backstory to clear this up. In 2004 I had a VW R32 that had a computer controlled exhaust valve and someone on the forums found the wire that just needed to be grounded to open the valve. Just install a simple toggle switch to ground and so I figured I might find the same solution for the mpe.

I started testing the wires at the control box to see what I could find and found that grounding that wire would open the valves. So you can either run a wire up into the cabin and get a toggle switch or one of the fancy billet buttons or you can follow CG Precision's lead like I did and control it with your homelink.

I bought an RF remote relay https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6VOI6Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details and a pack of Posi-Tap inline wire taps. The relay can be programmed to operate a few different ways. I run my set up in toggle mode, one homelink button opens and a different button closes the valves. You can also run in latched mode where one button does both. Here's how I wired it. Green to green (a little hard to see but it's in the 4th connection), black wire(s) to ground and red to power.
Attachment 2813255
I picked a fuse in the fusebox that is always powered and installed a Bussmann BP/HHH-RP ATM Mini Add-A-Circuit so that the RF switch will stay closed (if the relay loses power the switch opens) and therefore the valves stay open when I start the car if I want.

Of course I am not responsible if you fry your electrical system. I'll be happy to answer any questions if I can.

This is what the finished install looks like.
Mark
Wow. Well done. There's been years of talk here on the forum about a non-Bluetooth switch for the MPE valve!!
Appreciate 1