View Single Post
      11-15-2021, 06:38 PM   #32
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Weight notes:

I'm working on getting the full table images hosted for both designs so you guys can easily see and compare weights per size and so on. I'll update the OP when I have both images hosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
The BMW 763M rear wheels are 19*10 ET 40 and BMW can't keep them in stock. There is a shortage of quality aftermarket wheels with stock fitment. The Eidelweiss wheels are near stock offsets and very light. I do like your new wheel design.
Thanks for the feedback! I had actually brought up an OEM/OEM+ rear 10" M2 wheel option in the past with our team as a Flow Formed wheel, but the project was sidelined to focus on these forged wheels. If others watching this thread would be interested in a setup that is very similar to stock rear widths and offsets, please let me know. This kind of feedback does help drive our decisions to produce wheels in various sizes and I'd be very interested to hear if the community would be interested in a spec similar to OE specs.

My question for you - in terms of rear offset would you prefer an exact replication of the OE offset ie: 40? or something slightly lower in the et36-8 range for a bit more aggression while still fitting OE tires?

One of the benefits of our forged production is that it allows us to make smaller batches of fitments more easily than our flow formed lines so we can be a bit more flexible where production is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I'd have a set of the VS-5RS wheels if it weren't for that outer lip. I know you guys did it for strength, just like BMW did with the 763M motorsport wheel, but with beauty being more important to me than strength, I just can't do it.

Maybe one day you guys will make a wheel for pure beauty instead of for heavy-duty race applications.

And that might be an interesting figure; what percentage of your customers buy your wheels for the street vs the track?
Our focus has always been strong and lightweight wheels that perform on the track, but I would really love to see the full breakdown of track/vs street use both with the initial buyer and over the life of the wheel. With our resources, the weight and the strength of the wheels are always what we focus on and this drives the final designs. Maybe some of our future options will appease your tastes, but for now we're going to stick to giving our customers designs driven by performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
And don't forget the original forged line too.

18x9.5 ET22 (weight / load)
EC7 Flow formed: 21.75 lbs / 1550 lbs
EC7 Sprint Forged: 18.8 lbs / 1600 lbs
EC7 Original Forged: 19.95 lbs / 1800 lbs
Very excited about the weight difference between the lines as shown above. Upping the load rating compared to our flow formed wheels and saving weight at the same time was a tough goal, but it was an important one for us.

It's interesting to note that the inner lip for the Sprint line wheels is even stronger than our classic forged wheels with the higher load rating. Load rating measures the strength of the spokes/face, and its resistance to spoke failure. There is no equivalent standardized measurement for the lip strength & many companies don't focus on the inner lip, but if a wheel is going to bend or fail the inner lip will likely be where the failure occurs as it is unsupported. We spent a ton of resources engineering a better inner lip to reduce the chances of bends and failures even though that isn't reflected in the final load rating.

You can learn more about these changes here:

https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/m...pec-inner-lip/

-Tom

Last edited by Expert@ApexWheels; 02-10-2022 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0