06-01-2021, 02:27 PM   #87
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I guess my M235 is special then because I've slightly burned my arm on my FTP CP when working on my car after driving on a hot summer day. A temp gun shot of the CP just below the TB connection has shown as high 130 degrees (54 C) after driving on a summer day. The highest I saw with my OEM CP was 110 degrees under the same test.

When it's 80+ degrees (26C) outside, the motor is fully warm, and I'm driving in stop and go traffic for 15+ minutes, my IATs can see as high as 130 degrees (54 C) at a stoplight with my FTP CP and Wagner EVO Comp 1 IC. These IATs are actually slightly higher than stock because again, these components are entirely metal compared to OEM which were largely plastic. Once rolling and at a steady cruise, the IATs fall close to what I had seen prior to the FTP CP and Wagner IC. When going moderate to heavy throttle, the IATs are better than stock and the stability of the IATs under a full throttle 2nd and 3rd gear run are way better (i.e. the point of an upgraded IC).

When it's below 65 degrees (18 C) outside, the FTP and Wagner IC do quite well and behave basically like the stock CP and IC during daily driving. When it's below 50 degrees (10 C), the FTP and Wagner IC stay cooler than stock and the FTP CP is always cool to the touch.
Yes that's what I'm trying to explain:

1) I think my bms intercooler with it's insanely high Fin density is able to to more effective with power air flow (radiator fan only) and stay sub 50C. I know with my stock intercooler 50C+ was a common thing even on cold days below 20C in stop and go traffic. I also believe the Wagner intercooler is a low fin density design and a tube and fin so you heat soak alot quicker and have less means to disappate said heat which is why you see 50C easier than I do. I will keep testing to see if I can hit 50C in the coming days, I know we have a 33C day coming up which is likely the hottest it'll ever get here.

2) I'm differentiating between intercooler induced heat soak and ambient engine bay induced heat soak.

- if the charge pipe gets hot due to intercooler induced heat soak, aka 50C+ iat from idling then who cares if the charge pipes are metal the heat source is coming from within and being metal is a benefit because it allows the heat to be radiated out, plastic is just an insulator.

- If the charge pipes get hot due to ambient temperatures of the engine bay getting too hot then that's a problem.

3) the engine bay had alot of different heat zones. The passenger side where the turbo is (so lower in the opening on that side) gets stupid hot because of the exhaust manifold, turbo, and down pipe. The passenger side of the engine bay where the ground terminal is, and by the hood strut is cool to the touch, I have my ctek harness there and it never gets hot, sometime warm but that's it. The driver side upper part of the engine bay is the same as the passenger. The driver side lower part of the engine bay where the charge pipe sits is never as hot as the passenger side, I never see it get as hot as 50C and this is judged via touching the firewall and the metal ac hose weight. Those objects are just warm, and fairly consistent in temperature.

When driving fast there's alot of air rushing through the engine bay (there's also a large hole in te driver's side connected to the wheel well for the brake lines also contributing to air flow). When moving fast the engine bay is cooled down so it won't heat soak the charge pipes, when idling the charge pipes are too hot from I tercoller heat soak to be heated by the engine bay.

4) if the driver side of the engine bay never gets hot enough to heat soak the pipes from what I keep seeing, That's why metal charge pipes aren't a concern. I even notice there's enough flow through the charge pipes just from idle to drop temps from heat soaking in the sun.