03-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #72
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
OP is talking about doing long drives of 5+ hours but all the focus is on perceived suspension differences between the OG M2 and the M2C. I think that's barking up the wrong tree. What's more important for long drives is the difference in seats, and this is purely subjective - there is no absolute right answer, only the right answer for your specific body shape.

Before buying our M2, we drove multiple M3/M4 (I believe the M2C seats are close to those in shape, hence the comparison) in situations where the dealer basically throws you the keys and says "see you later". So we got to spend 30-45 minutes in the M3/M4 seats multiple times across multiple visits. We found them really nice looking, but uncomfortable after 20-30 minutes. This was a big deal for us, as we found the OG M2 seats dramatically more comfortable. Since we often visit clients 2-3 hours away, this was an important factor. I'm 5'9" and about 165lbs, my wife 4'10" about 105lbs, and 3 hours in the OG M2 seats is like 3 minutes, zero back pain, leg pain, or fatigue. Like they were tailor made for us.

I'd done a ton of reading here across the M2 and M3/M4 forums, and I noticed a pattern with comments about seat comfort: the M3/M4 seats (and likely by inference the M2C seats) were widely praised by taller/larger drivers, while comments in favor of the OG M2 / 2-Series seats, and complaints against the M3/M4 seats, were often made by drivers under 5'10". Again, I emphasize this is purely anecdotal so don't take this as fact, just a definite pattern I noticed.

Nobody can tell you which feels better - you'll need to figure this out on your own. Maybe consider using Turo to rent an M2C/M3/M4 and then do the same with an OG M2, if possible. At the very least, go find these sitting at dealers and just sit for a while. My guess is your body will tell you very quickly which one it wants to be in for 5 hours. Extra horsepower is always nice and lighted seat emblems are cool, but they won't compensate for seats you dread sitting in for long drives. Likewise, saving $10K on an OG would be great but not if it turns out your specific physique matches the M2C seat design better. Forget how the two designs look - they feel completely different and you need to figure out which is right for you.

(for those who would point out that seats can be swapped/changed, I get that but this post assumes the OP isn't interested in dealing with all that).
This is good advice, though the OP is from Sweden, where the M2 Competition can be optioned with the original OG M2 seats.

But seats and seat comfort in general are an important, often overlooked factor.

That said, anecdotally, as a shortish guy (5'8") I've taken my comp on multi-day road trips without problems. Everyone's body is different though.
Appreciate 0