04-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #22
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
I've read the "true M engine" argument (regarding the forthcoming S55-powered 2019 M2) on this forum so many times - totally subjective...

The N55 in the 2016-18 M2 has a fair number of modifications over every previous iteration - at some point, BMW makes enough modifications that they decide to stick an 'S' designation on it. For sure, a closed-deck is a nice upgrade (tho I'd take a B58 over an S55 - we all have different priorities...), and I can understand if someone wants another 40 hp, twin turbos, etc - all those are at least concrete advantages vs a subjective "true M" declaration.

But a good point was made above and I agree - the S55 isn't likely to go down in history as one of the greatest M lumps ever and, as mentioned, it too will be replaced in the very near future, starting with the X3M and then disappearing completely within a couple years or so.
BMW has built some great engines over the decades; not all were designated as "M" engines, and not all engines designated "M" were great engines.

And the concept of how much power, or HP, an engine generally, or an "M" engine specifically, should have, has widely varied over the decades, generally increasing, but who knows where that will end up as emissions and other restrictions become more and more important?

The M2 is a street car that can be tracked. The overwhelming majority of owners will never track the car, nor stress the engine beyond 75%, tops, of its capabilities. Most people will just drive it, and beyond the occasional spirited passing, the car's current capacity will remain only in reserve. But it is nice to know its there.