11-29-2017, 01:22 AM   #268
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I thought some of those race engines were actually derived from the S62, not the S65. Anyway...

Your analysis doesn’t take into consideration the switch to the S55 engine mid way through the M2’s lifecycle. N55 based models will always be less valuable in the market in a few years, than the S55 based models - similar situation to the 2001 M Coupes and Roadsters.
I own a 2000 M Coupe, and think I should point out that there was an ENORMOUS difference in the HP of the S54 M Coupes vs. the S52 version, 315 vs 240. For a car of that size and weight, the difference is huge. When you take the N55 M2, you are already dealing with so much HP that any additional risks being superfluous, other than for use on a track, plus the additional HP is unlikely to amount to that much as a percentage. The switchover in the case of the M Coupe was for additional power and performance, whereas the reputed reason for switching over to the S55 in the M2 is supposedly improved emissions, not the same compelling rationale to the owner of a sports vehicle.

One cannot predict how the market will judge these two versions a decade or two from now. For one thing, the total production of all (Z3) M Coupes sold in the N. American market was around 3000 vehicles, so the S54, which represented only a small fraction of that total (six or seven hundred vehicles, approximately) was a very rare car, indeed.

Neither the N55 nor the S55 based M2 models will approach that level of rarity. Plus, the clownshoe was an ugly and atypical car, which ultimately endeared itself to collectors. The M2 will not have that to draw upon.
Appreciate 1