05-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #16
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
Interested. SM-10

In general. what is faster? square setup or staggered?
That is a hefty question that can only be supported by data when isolating driver, a specific vehicle, track location, conditions, tire type etc. There are too many variables at play to make a general statement. This may help answer some of your questions:

Square or Staggered. Which is the right fitment for me?

For those of you racking your brains on this popular debate, let me start off by saying there is no right answer. Both fitments provide drivers with pros and cons. Factors like how you use your car, desired tire specifications, driving styles, budget, and power output help define which route is best for your personal needs.

In short, a square fitment will help mitigate understeer as well as dramatically reduce the seasonal tire budget through the ability to rotate any corner. Square fitments promote a very balanced handling experience where enthusiasts can channel their M2’s inner go-kart. If you like a car that turns in on command, and respect that a 275 r-compound is already great at this car’s power level then square is the way to go.

By going with a staggered fitment, you can maximize both wheel and tire width all around. This ultimately creates the largest contact patch we can, with the goal of putting as much power to the ground as possible. A staggered fitment costs more to own because the wheels and tires initially cost more, and most-of-all you can’t rotate anything. You can only dismount tires and flip them on the wheel which is also costly. If drivers are not consumed by the consumable costs of tires (you see what I did there?), and they upped the power on their N55 through tuning etc., then running more tire out back may be the key to quicker lap times.
Appreciate 0