View Single Post
      03-22-2017, 02:20 AM   #140
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Why is it BMW has to step up their game in the EV market when Mercedes and Audi get the plaudits? The EQ and Q8 are concept cars and around 2 years from production. This had to be communicated to the media who also reported the same thing. BMW are the leading manufacturer for Premium EV vehicles in the segment.
The current iPerformance models not only lead their respective segments but account for around 10% of total volume and in some markets are the best selling model in that series. The BMWi3 is showing increase after increase each month with additional models due to be launched in the Summer including the Performance i3S. As well as an upgraded BMW i8 with additional Roadster and high performance iS.
Joining the range is the 530e iPerformance and a new MINI Countryman E. Followed by a new BMW X3 iPerformance a precursor to a full electric BMW X3. In the middle of 2018 will see the reveal of the all new BMW 3er which again will be offered as iPerformance and a full electric edition.

Other vehicles earmarked include the X7. The 8er Gran Coupe and a full electric X5 as well as a new BMWi SAV/Crossover. The BMW iNext taking shape is all about the next step. If the i8 was the "What if?" The iNext is the "inevitable"
And of course BMW will replace the i3 and i8 with the i8 offering full electric.
BMW has a current full electric i8 as well as one driven by Fuel Cell and of course an Autonomous model.

When talk about the application of sustainable drive trains? It is no longer a case of if? But when? The first model will be developed from BMWs three stage Power eDrive strategy which will be a 5er again to be followed in additional models.

We have to look at the future and proposals in which cities globally or looking at the banning of combustion cars. If we take China the worlds no1 luxury car market they are looking at a ban on all vehicles except EVs.
BMWs in development "Dreamliner" will be offered in full electric and can even be placed within the next generation of Rolls-Royce models.

The all-electric MINI taking shape like the BMW Next 100 is derived from its Vision Concept to have a similar imprint to a BMW i3.

It is inaccurate to say we are behind as it is to say we are stalling.
The overall stumbling block for current EVs and PHEVs is of course Range Anxiety and BMW customers are in transition. Some have already decided whilst some have already crossed over. In regards to what BMW offer in sustainable drive trains the company wants to make sure all areas are covered from a base Electric MINi. Increased popular SUV models. High Performance M cars and even luxury plus Rolls-Royce models. As the CEO did announce it is a Marathon not a short Sprint.
Hmmm... But the competition in the EV space isn't about Audi or Merc. It's about Tesla.

Tesla have three advantages.
1. They realize that an electric car just have to be an electric version of a normal car. Not something futuristic or special.
2. Bigger battery than everyone else.
3. A continent-wide charging network both in NA and EU.

Everything else is done better by BMW. But yet Teska sell a significant amount of cars.
Point 1 and 2 should be easily doable by BMW as well. So why don't you?
Appreciate 0