Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEOF40 FS M3 View Post
I have driven all M cars in the last 20 years including all new Ms and own some of them. The M2 is only good when compared to the new M cars M3 and M4 but outside of that is just another Turbo car which is heavy to be a sports car. It has Turbo lag and sounds awful like the M3 and M4. It can be a nice grocery car with a manual transmission, just fun for a little while but boring in the long run. It is a good looking car, the front fascia is the best part of it.

BMW and the M Divison have become a marketing brand that builts car for the masses. M badges for everyone diluting brand.
I have to agree. The M cars to me were always crazy versions of the standard car. E46 has a bigger inline 6 but with a 1,500 rpm higher redline and and insanely good chassis. The e90 had a small V8 that also went to insanely fast engine speeds. these two were much different than there standard cars. The 335 could be as fast but not as "good" if that makes sense. But the new m cars are just tuned versions of their standard cars. 340 to an M3 could be obtained with good suspension components and a tune which brings the appeal down. I'm sure we're just stuck in our ways a bit. I'm not against progression but it doesn't seem like there's progress. Numbers don't matter it's the enjoyment of driving and as seen on these forums and online, the newer m cars don't really compare to the old ones when comparing the feel you get when you drive it.
Go try those comparos and report back. A tuned 340 isn't even close in terms of feel or performance compared to a stock F80/82 - first hand experience. Night and day.

When that torque hits in my M3, I'm pretty damn happy. All you old folks stuck in the past. Change is good. Progression is good. Stop whining so much. It's painful to read despite my efforts to scan through the nostalgic posts.

While it doesn't scratch my itch, the M2 should make every satisfied BMW owner happy that BMW can still get it right. That bodes well for the future ///M and regular series variants.
Im in my 20's I hardly qualify as an old timer. But if we're talking straight line speed I'm sorry to break it to you but you can achieve your stock power easily from a 35/40i engine. I wasn't at all downgrading the performance of the M3 I very much respect it but my point was in terms of experience, which is subjective and varies amongst different drivers so I don't see the need for an argument.
Appreciate 0