Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
I was very surprised too: the 228i could be BMW's greatest secret. Just add the M performance LSD, a chip to increase power, M performance coilovers and brakes and it could be the successor to the E30 M3!
All F series 4 cyl BMWs have fantastic inherent balance. Not only do you take something like 100kg out of the nose with a 4 cyl, you put all the remaining engine weight behind the front axle. It makes for trusty, dependable, adjustable neutrality as default cornering behaviour. With an LSD, a stock 330i is probably one of the best handling BMWs you can buy right now. I'm secretly worried that I'll miss how my 328i drives, especially in those first moments of turn in, as the grip loads up on one side and it just hangs neutrally in the corner, awaiting your input.

Not for the first time, I wonder if BMW got it wrong putting a straight 6 into the M2, at least in terms of handling. There's no doubt that putting its excellent chassis with a lighter, better placed engine would make it that much sweeter to drive. A stock 228i is already about as fast in a straight line as an e46 M3 and a piggy back tuned 228i is into the 4s from 0-100, with just 275ish hp. With S55 pistons (should be a straight swap in terms of fit) a new crank, intake, turbo and exhaust, that 2 cyl should be good for at least 320hp, which minus 100kg, would be about as fast as the M2 in a straight line and handle better.
I agree and think that what's the M2 should have been. A lighter car with a nice 4 cylinder turbo with plenty enough horsepower but a sweeter balance. Then it would not have competed against the M3/4 but would be a real entry level M car...

I was definitely hoping the M2 would be a light car with a 4 cylinder motor. Instead they continued with " heavier but faster .."
Appreciate 0