Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yes, in a few ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Can you use the torque app for data logging or do you need a jb4 or something like that?
Torque can data log pretty well especially with an external GPS, the proper ELM327 WiFi or BT OBDII Dongle (depending if your running droid or iOS) ...

There are a few ways to create .CSV (Comma Seperated Value) files that can be read by Race Render or Dashware (I am told) to be charted or turned into Video Gauge Overlays...

The best way to data log through torque IMHO is through a free plug-in called "Racing Meter". Be careful to d/l the right one, there are dozens of variations for various applications (RC Cars, Go Karts, Video Games, etc)...

Thie following video is the proper one, aside from data logging, it's personally my favorite auto app...I run it most of the time, using my Samsung Tablet. The app lets you define shift points (even different for each gear), User defined warning signs on any sensor at your prefered values, and can display about EVERY THING in an infinite array of layouts you can choose or design yourself. You can also use the graphing feature on Torque as seen in the second vid...

On that screen, touch and hold the screen and pick the telemetry option. You can log every sensor the car has, and the app even uses existing PID's to calculate certain other data that the ecu doesn't even use or have as stated earlier...The "Telemetry Screen" Looks like this when recording (This is before I filled in all the important input required to know what gear the cars in etc..):

If you take the time to input (accurately) gear ratios, drag coefficient, frontal mass, true vehicle weight w/ you, gas, your mods, other fluids etc. (I used a truck weigh in), wheel/tire diameter, etc And the layout design is limitless...It CAN BE as accurate as a VBOX for 0-60, 1/4 Mile, Lap, Braking, skidpad, etc.

You can also use these free or cheap APPS combined with a $20 OBDII dongle

1.Track Addict
2.Dash Command
3.Race Chrono Pro
4.Harrys Laptimer
Many More

Which one is the best comes down to user preference but, which ever one your using I don't recommend trying to record more than 3-4 Sensor values at a time. The wireless OBD connection is not very strong and the more you try to record the slower and less accurate your recordings will be....Anything more than a few readings I recommending hard wiring one of the many data logging products. These are also great for making cool vids or getting rough ideas, but I would never use these numbers to tune or modify anything LOL.

Hope this helps...