View Single Post
      02-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #67
Trackman
Rep
Drives: BMW 235i

Hi guys, I've had family time last night and then had a good sleep, so I'm just wanting to broadly respond to come questions. I think most of the answers lie in what I originally wrote.

I think a lot of people have already decided what the M2 will be because it is what they want it to be, not necessarily what it is. An observation by one reader that BMW doesn't want to undercut its bigger brothers says something about its positioning, but in saying that a comparison might be the Boxster/Cayman v 911. All are outstanding and desirable variants.

Re the 235i car feeling potentially more planted. I disclosed that my 235i has the complete factory aero kit fitted. I said it was an impression but I wouldn't argue the point. My "other car" is a Porsche GT3 and I've been impressed by the aeros on my 235i in comparison. Its a fine point but it was noted.

Re the gearbox, another possible explanation is this: In the pre-drive briefing we were told you need to run-in an M2 and after its first 2,000km service you can drive it however you want. Could there by a software upgrade/update at that time to change the shift behavior? Perhaps its shift response is a product of being driven in Sport and that things will change in Sport+. Clearly I don't have the answer, but it will become evident in time.

By way of background, I was once a newspaper reporter, so I'm just wanting to report the facts as I saw and experienced them, nothing more, because everyone is so keen to get insights into this new hero car from BMW. I definitely don't have any agendas other than to try to help those who are hungry for insights. I think I gave adequate qualification of the circumstances in which the car was driven.

And by way of further background I have been privileged to drive the latest Lamborghinis, Porsche Turbos, Audi R8 V10s, Jaguar's best and fastest and M cars at eye-watering speeds around some of Australia's best tracks, largely because I'm a trusted driver. I'm always on the track in my GT3. I've driven manuals, automated gear boxes in manual and self-shifting on the race tracks. I've been doing this for 15 years and have learned a few things about track driving along the way, but I definitely don't have any tickets on myself. Humility is more endearing than pride.

I agree that I'm not a professional tester and yes, you can take my report with a grain of salt. I don't know the reasons why the car behaved the way it did, I can only tell you what I experienced.

I'd like the M2 to be everything BMW would like us to believe it will be. I'd like everyone's fantasy about what this car actually is to come true. We'll find out in time, but in the meantime I hope that I've helped to satisfy your craving for information just a little.

As for me, I'm reserving my judgement on whether or not to buy until after a road test of both manual and DCT variants, meaning I'd leave behind my terrific little all-rounder 235i. I run in the race group in my GT3 and think it would be fun to drive the next lower speed group on alternative days in the M2 (as I have a few times in my 235i) - more track time!

Best wishes to you all. I hope you get the M2 of your dreams delivered in time for Christmas (2017?)!
Appreciate 2