///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

BMW M2: my first driving impressions review

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey guys, here is my review that annoyingly I had to take down from the website. Still it bemuses me as to why I had to take it down.

A lucky few of us here in Australia were invited to Australia's official launch of the M2 and we allowed to drive the M2 around Australia's Mt Panorama circuit. It was an epic day and a very well planned event by BMW and much credit goes to them.

The day went like this:

We did 2-3 laps in the M2, followed by 2-3 laps in the M3 and then 2-3 laps in the M4 which was brilliant as we got to compare all three.

Here are my impressions on the M2. I'll try and break it down by each aspect of the car.

Steering & Handing
It feels very direct and weighty and loads up nicely on the corners. It doesn't have all the sport settings that the M4 does, but it's fine as it is.

It feels beautifully planted and very nimble and changes direction quite easily. It didn't want to break traction as much as the M4 did, but I also put that down to the more power that the M4 has.

Engine
There is plenty of pull and the DCT shifts were amazing. I myself have ordered a manual, but the DCT was tempting. Brilliant gearbox and it did 'blap' the exhaust on upshifts like the M4 does.

Styling
They had a Mineral Grey, Long Beach Blue and Black Sapphire Mettalic at the event. I hate to be a sour puss, but the grey doesn't do much for this car. The Long Beach Blue is a really nice colour and the black is very attractive as well. There was no Alpine white. The flared rear wheel arches are simply a sight to behold and make the car very aggressive. The M2 is definitely a looker and looks a lot better in real life than the photos suggest.

Now for the comparison against its big brother the M4. I had never driven an M4 before today, and I got to really see what it could do on a track. I have a lot of respect for this car and anyone who buys one, take it to the track because it is a brilliant track tool.

My thoughts compared to the M2, as briefly as possible.

Handling
The M2 changes direction better and you can feel its more compact chassis holds the road a little better through corners. Definitely that little bit of weight saving makes a difference.

Engine
M4 is quicker and has more pull than the M2. The M2 is no slouch, but you can feel the M4 is quicker, but not by much.

Braking
Much of a muchness really as they both use the same braking set-up.

Feel
The M2 felt like a more direct and raw car than the M4, but that was to be expected considering its smaller dimensions.

Sound
I think the M4 sounds good, but I preferred the sound of the M2. More raspy and less farty than the M4

Styling
Those flared wheel arches did it for me. The M4 is much more toned down in the styling.

My conclusion is, the M4 is an amazing car and the M2 is not better than the M4 (BMW were never trying to do this). It is very close to its performance for a lot less and BMW have done a fantastic job in creating this car. Anyone who has ordered an M2 will not be disappointed and now I can't wait till mine arrives!
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)

Last edited by ///M-pressed; 02-17-2016 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: Back up!
Appreciate 40