10-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #90
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth519 View Post
IMHO the M235i bumper looks rather bland while the M2 bumper might end up looking a bit over-the-top. Let's wait and see...

Overall, I think the 2-series (base car) fixes many of the things that looked odd in the old 1-series coupé. It's an improvement but it's still not what I'd call BMW design at it's best.

The 1M was a bit of a different beast. Its design features distracted well from the overall "slightly odd" looks of the base car. It really was spot-on. Not sure if the M2 will be quite as much of an improvement over the base 2-series.

In short: I like it so far, but I think the M4 looks better.

</1st-world problems>
This. The 1 series coupe was a pretty ugly car. The 1Ms charm came from the M flares and proportions it acquired as a result of being an M-division fettled product. The 2er, overall, is rather good looking bar the rear and the awkward droop it still has from the doors to the rear quarter. The M2 will address much of this. Whilst the rear lights could also do with slimming, its already shaping up to be a bit more of a looker than the 1M.

The M235i front end with the performance splitter looks pretty darn good imho. Some middle ground between that and the M3/4 front would have been ideal.
Appreciate 1