View Single Post
      11-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I think it would have made more of an impression on a track. Also, I am a much better performance driver now than I was 11 years ago, so I might notice its merits more if I were to drive it nowadays.

And I never said it was a crappy car - just in comparison to my RX-8 at the time I didn't see what the hoopla was about (but before you judge, you should have some experience with a 6MT RX-8 - it is a superb handler (the AT version was crap)).

Anyway, I just wanted to start another discussion, since until something new and definitive comes out, the horse has been beaten to a pulp speculating about M2 specs and the MT vs. DCT nonsense.
Let me put it this way. It's one of the most bulletproof BMW engines out there, parts are dirt cheap (at least compared to my E92 M3), I'm getting 22 mpg combined (17 in the E92) and can be had for $10k or under.

Never driven an RX8 before but I'm assuming you have to wind it out right? In daily driving situations, for an NA engine, this thing has some really good torque (nothing like your 135i of course). I guess the reason it's so good, and not just at the track, but as an everyday car is because it does everything so well, which IMHO the RX8 cannot.

Having said that, the interior, especially the light grey ones don't age very well though. But the way these things have already bottomed out in price and have started steadily increasing makes for a pretty good ownership experience... granted mine is out of commission right now
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0