E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I think the point is open for debate - I have ridden in a new M3, and some of the visceral experience is lost upon you for sure - lack of induction/engine noise and a "different" type of exhaust note.

It is clearly a very, very fast car - I think what he is saying has been echoed by others - in the auto rag press and on here - that the car is very very good, but represents the continuation of BMW shifting away from its roots more in each subsequent generation.

To me, it is similar to the MT vs. DCT conversation - one is more about feel and experience, and the other is more about precision and speed. The same analogy can be made to the changes that are effected as each generation of cars gets bigger, heavier, faster, and more complicated.

Just my $.02...

Different strokes for different folks.

I don't need a N/A V8 for me to have a visceral experience. The M division have done a wonderful job to improve the M3/M4 from its previous generation. IMO I personally prefer the sound of the S55 to the S65 with stock exhaust.

Its not so much BMW is shifting away from its roots, its where the game is headed. With all of the new emission regulations every manufacture will be forced to go turbo charged pretty soon. I feel they did an outstanding job of maintaining their M roots. I've driven the e92 M3 countless amount of times, on a racetrack and on the road and when I compare it to my M4 I don't think my car lost some of its M DNA, I actually feel its the best M car yet. Look man.. this happens with every new generation M car, you get the previous generation guys bash the new one until they make the trade themselves.

Now this guy saying the new M3 drives and sounds like a 335 is ignorant, He clearly has never been behind the wheel of the F80. I also own a 335is.. the one with the N54 engine and hydraulic steering and My M4 handles and sounds nothing like it.
I usually stay away from replying when people debate opinions and not facts. However, I wanted to correct you and say I have driven both the new M5 and the new M3 as possible replacements for my E90 M3. They both do not appeal to me. When I said the M3 sound like a 335i I was not referring not only to the exhaust note, but to the overall experience behind the wheel. The cars are fast, but I left the dealer disappointed with both. They appeared to me as luxury fast cars and lost the "go kart" experience of other 3 past generations. I know because I purchased all of them. That is why I am looking and hoping the M2 would be different. That's all. I respect the fact you enjoy your new M3 car, but it is not for me. That's all.
Appreciate 0