View Single Post
      02-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #291
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2008 Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It's not a disappointment when it actually makes perfect sense.
In the time I spent with the M4 I came to realise that using a detuned engine in the M2 kind of takes the spotlight away from the M4.

The M4 is the kind of car that is developed with a passion , a complete synergy which makes the car absolutely brilliant. Everything that is developed for the M4 should stay exclusively with the M4 . M4 works because of its sheer assistance to the technology , engine and the overall precision.

The M2 has to forge its own identity but not be a poor relation.
A four cylinder will not only progress identity but allow for new innovations especially for this segment especially when the focus is heavily on Precision than extra numbers.
As I said before, they need to apply this same "passion" to a SMALLER car. This does not take away anything from the M4 except its gargantuan size. There is not technical reason that I am aware of why the S55 powertrain couldn't be squeezed into the M2. A 4-cyl turbo is NOT what I want to replace my twin-turbo N54. The S55 seems like a natural evolution for me. If I wanted the size I could have bought a 335i or even an M3.

Again, I will be massively disappointed if BMW screws this up and puts a turbo 4 in the M2. I have driven the N20 328i and no thanks. 4-cylinder turbos anre twitchy, laggy, and peaky and do not have the same dynamics as an inline 6. I feel like I would be taking a step down moving to a 4 cylinder. 4 cylinders make me think of hondas and toyotas... Inline 6 makes me think BMW. I dont want to buy an M4 not because I can't afford one, but because it is TOO BIG.

Basically I'm saying "BMW come take my money" if you put the S55 in the M2. If not, forget it, I won't be buying any BMW next and I will have to start looking at something else.

Highly disappointed.