Gaviin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
M235i 174.5 inches

This all, of course, comes down to personal preference, but HBSpeed's point stands. BMW has started with a rather large platform, which will work against them if they're going for a lightweight sports coupe.
I dunno. The 2's length is exactly the same as the E36 M3, which I find to be a perfect size for a sports coupe. The other cars you listed, I would say are in a slightly different league in terms of car type and intended use (do any of them even have back seats at all?).

The E36 was quite a bit lighter than the new 2, so there are obviously plenty of ways to achieve a low curb weight despite the length of the car. It's just a question of whether BMW will prioritize that by not loading it up with a bunch of BS. If they reach that goal, I don't have any problem with a well-designed FI 4 cyl.

If anything, I hope they absolutely settle on a 4 because it will force them to seriously address the weight issue, or else they'll have a dog on their hands, which I'd like to think they'd do anything to avoid. A 6 gives them a lot more room to be sloppy, which isn't as appealing to me.
Appreciate 0